Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Help a sister out...

Who's in need of some good karma? You? I knew you were.

My radio doc school in Maine has offered to donate four backpacks of equipment to a youth radio project I'm working on in a village called San Juan Mixtepec. It's the same town where I attended the annual party just weeks ago. The radio gear is a huge gift for these guys, as we're starting with nothing. My colleague, Eva, and I are donating our time to teach the classes, some villagers are donating space and a computer, and local stations are donating time for us to broadcast. All the incidentals, like power cords, paper and the like--fall to us to cover in the end. As we are not yet an official non-profit, or what here is called an AsociaciĆ³n Civil, we are not set up yet with the ability to seek funding from foundations (that's a future step).

So, here's where we need help: I need to send the equipment from Maine to a few people in the States who are traveling to Mexico, and can kind of mule-in the recorders and mics (it's a bit tricky here to get electronics in the country--they're not very free speech friendly!) Very honestly, I don't have the money to just fund the shipping myself, sadly (imagine a very meager U.S. government stipend quickly dripping away). I'm turning to YOU. If a swath of people donate something nominal ($5-10) then I'm sure I could get all of this equipment shipped safely and quickly. Those who have a few spare dollars, and would be willing to help out, below is a donate button which will lead you to a secure page to make that donation using a credit card, or transferring funds from a bank account.

Needless-to-say, this equipment will be a big asset to our program. And for a village, and a set of kids, who have little--it will make a very big impact.

Thank you. Truly.

(Those who want more information on the youth radio project, shoot me a line, and I'm happy to supply)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey-
I'm just starting at Salt for radio this week and stumbled upon yer blog. I'm interested in what you're reporting on in Oaxaca and was wondering if you'd drop me a line about your project and what you're reporting on. I've lived in Guatemala for a while, and I'd like to try and get someone to fund me to go to either Mexico or Columbia and do some reporting. Do you work with the Narco News folks?
-dan
upagainstthewalrus@riseup.net