Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mistakes


Let's just begin with this picture of the sun breaking on the hills behind the Cordero's house in Colonia Reforma. Let's just start there. Take a breath. Enjoy the view.

Now let's make a list of all of the mistakes I've made since departing the United States of America. My friend Lu assures me these will be hilarious stories later. I am marking my calendar to check back and read them when later arrives.

1. Left my cell phone at my mom's house PURPOSELY, thinking I wouldn't be using it once I was down in Mexico. I was right, in that I can't use it as a phone. Though, it would have come in handy as, say, the place where I have stored all of the phone numbers for everyone I know.

2. Left my microphone in the bathroom in the Mexico City airport. Yes. I actually did this. Somewhere between moving from the smoke-filled waiting area and sitting at an empty gate I realized my large error. I mutter "fuck fuck fuck," in a surprisingly calm voice and walk back to the bathroom, to find it tucked away in the closet. The bathroom attendant gives me a five-minute lecture on being careless with expensive things.

3. Didn't pack the powercord for my computer. Here were the options: a) buy a new one from the ONLY mac store in town for $200, b) have my sister break into my dad's house while he is out of town and fedex me the powercord, c) take a bus to Puebla (2 hours away) and try to find another Mac store there that could sell me one for a little less money. I selected option A.

4. Got on the wrong bus to head back to the Cordero's for comida. Decided to get off when I saw signs indicating this was the direction for Mexico City.

5. Put down a deposit for an apartment that has no furniture, no stove and no fridge because I think it's just the perfect little home. Yellow paint with red trim and a porch go a long way to convince this girl! So now I find myself borrowing furniture from my ex-boyfriend (fun!) and scheming to get my friend's, cousin's husband to help me move the stuff into the house sometime in the next few days (double fun!). What was I thinking? You can't move furniture if you don't have friends, people. You just can't. Well, I guess you can if you have money. Which brings me to #6.

6. Left my ATM card inside the ATM machine at the bank on day 5 of my arrival in Oaxaca. It was one of those machines that sucks your card in until you transaction is complete. I am so accustomed to the Swipe machines that out of habit I just walked off without the card. So guess what? I can't access any of my money. They have HSBC here. Unfortunately, though, my account in the U.S. is not linked to the Mexican HSBC branch, so they can't issue me a new card here.

7. DHL sent my new ATM card to Nebraska. This is technically not my mistake. But I'm going to list it anyways. Apparently Oaxaca, Mexico shares a zip code with Prague, Nebraska. I guess nobody reads the ENTIRE address listing on a package, you know, like the part that says under country "MEXICO." So I paid my bank to charge my credit card and hand me some cash.

Clearly now that I am entering week 5 of living out of a suitcase, moving from New York to Chicago to Denver to Chicago to Oaxaca, things are getting a little foggy up top. It's a sad thing to grow dim at such a young age. But there it is. It's not so bad to make so many mistakes; this I know. Though some days, like today, the mistakes at last pushed me to cry.

One of my favorite quotes is from Samuel Beckett. "Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Well folks, I am on my way to failing better, to be sure!

6 comments:

HollyKMartin said...

Oh man, and I thought my last two weeks of mistakes was bad. (I blame it on my cold, can't possibly be that I'm "not paying attention" as Dad always says). But I got nothing on you, my smarter-than-the-average-bear sister. Ha! Thanks for making my crappy month of October seem like a walk in the park!
My solution for the "oops, I left my ATM card somewhere". Two checking accounts, baby! Oh yeah, that was my big great idea of 2007.
Wondering what I'll come up with next.

Aubrey said...

Awe. Is it later yet?

Bone-a-fide said...

I'm sorry, but first I have to say that they kind of are already hilarious stories. (Is that insensitive?)
Second, OMG! I didn't know so many of those things. I can't believe the bathroom attendant gave you a lecture! And your card got sent to NEBRASKA? What the hell?!
Most importantly, your little house is NOT a mistake. It's just that sometimes you have to suffer in the beginning for the things that are really worth it in the end.
And, seriously, I don't know anyone that has better reasons for being a little flaky. I mean, as you said, you've moved 5 times--one of them internationally--in the last month! The brain fog will clear soon.
I'm so glad you're blogging--I'll have to catch up on your other posts. (But I have to get back to work now since I just made a BIG mistake! Crap!...)

Anonymous said...

Yo, Megs. I agree with Sara--it's funny already! Dude you're rocking it and you know it. Keep on plowing through the little things you have to do in setup for the year ahead. Good job and thanks for sharing your travels.

Love, B.

'toria said...

I would like to counter your quote with one of my own: "Halfway through even the darkest forest, you are already coming out the other side." -Chinese proverb

And, if it makes you feel any better, it's taking me a small lifetime to type this, since I sprained my wrist and can only type with one hand. Maybe October was just a bad month for everyone...

Anonymous said...

Well, Megan it sounds like you have had an eventful trip so far. Hopefully things will start to look up for you :) I am still amazed at the cool adventures you have taken in life....I could never do that, always had to have a plan (I think I learned that from my mom and Dave)...talk to you soon!