Wednesday, November 07, 2007

7 Years Old and 7 Dollars



Dudes! I just moved into my lil yellow house three nights ago. On closer examination I need to admit that it is actually not just yellow. It's also red, as well as white. And to some extent, a portion of the exterior is lime green, too. However, it will be so named "the Lil Yellow House" regardless from now to forever.

So I've been a bit preoccupied with getting settled. It's not as if I've never lived on my own before. So things like, a gas bill, or paying your rent on time are no new thing. However, I am quickly learning that the world of apartment rentals can be totally different here. For instance, gas doesn't arrive to my house through a friendly little tube. I have to hail down a gas truck when my tank is empty, and the gas dude gives me a quick refill. How does one know when the gas tank is empty? One's hot water stops working, or the oven turns off. And how does one hail a gas truck? Well, funny you should ask, one listens for a loud horn/siren alert that the gas man toots from his truck, then one runs out of one's house in one's pajamas and waves one's hands like a lunatic. That's how one does it!

Other things, like how to hook up my washer, how to light the pilot of my hot water heater, how to order potable water and not drop the water tank on the stone kitchen floor, thus breaking the tank--have all been part of my learning curve in the last few days. It feels a bit like I am a child learning how to do fairly basic things for the first time. I'm 29 in American years, but 7 in Mexican years (and 4 in dogs year, in case you're wondering) Fun!

Yesterday I ventured up to the neighborhood market to buy some staples. I am attaching a picture of what I purchased for the grand total of $7. As a follow-up I am attaching a photo of what I ate today for comida. It was my first real meal in my new lil yellow house. Black bean soup made with onions, garlic, dried avocado leaves, queso fresco and salt and a spinach salad. yum! I've been informed that I should give up eating fresh salads for a year because there's no getting away from diarrhea. But I'm rolling the dice on this one, kids. We'll see how it goes. And don't you worry I WILL update you if things go down wrong in the intestinal arena. Oh yea.

2 comments:

'toria said...

I can't WAIT to hear more about your intestines!

Bone-a-fide said...

Look at that $7 haul! Woo hoo!

And 7 in Mexican years...that's funny.

Congrats on you Lil' Yellow House.

How exciting--your own home. In MEXICO!