Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A bit of mezcal and some conversation

Christmas is fast approaching, as I'm sure many of you in the States are VERY aware since your storefronts, streets and homes are decorated to the nines. Here, if I squint my eyes and walk around in a slight blur, I would hardly notice that the holidays have arrived. The 70-degree, daytime temp is no indication, of course. Nor is the lack of major shopping fever. Sure, people decorate their homes. But without front yards, many of those decorations are not seen by the innocent passerby. Inside each home, many create the most elaborate nativity scenes I've ever scene. The Cordero's have one that takes up the entirety of their foyer, complete with mountainside, desert diorama and river.

Thus, the two most obvious ways that I can identify the imminent holiday are 1) The front of my "hacienda" has been festooned in lights by my landlords. And 2) People have begun to sweep through town on their vacations. Alejandro, the Cordero's eldest son, just got into town two days ago from Vancouver, where he was studying film animation. So anyone out there with a connection in the animation world should let me know. This boy needs an interview! Likewise, Katie, a fellow Fulbrighter, was in town for several days brushing up on her advanced Spanish, and taking some time away from work work work. We bumped into each other at a café in town that has outstanding mango lassis (go figure). Whether it was our shared Mexican experience, or our abiding love for Kai Ryssdal that prompted us to head out for a bite to eat, who's to say. But it was a lovely evening of ENGLISH conversation, and yummy botanas. Here is Katie's first taste of mezcal ever!

Well, I'm off to Tlaxiaco for another few days before my Christmas break sets in. Friends (Aaron and Sarah) will be coming down the 26th to spend a week here in Oaxaca with me. And then we're all off for a few days in the Yucatán. woohoo! More on that later.

No comments: