Sunday, January 27, 2008

A few quick pictures

A college friend of my brother Alejandro, invited the Cordero's and me out to her home, north of the city in a small town called (rancho) called La Punta, just south of Guelatao. We sandwiched into the Cordero's mini-Cooper and headed the hour's trek north. Fatima, the friend, married a man from this tiny hamlet where the molinos used to froth and stir hot chocolate are crafted. Fatima's husband, Rolando, kindly gave us a demonstration of the artesanía that was handed down to him from his grandfather. Here he is whirling out a molino from a thick log, grinding out the moving pieces of the tool, burning into the wood the deep brown design--all in less than 30 minutes. Incredible.

Later, our pack traversed the hills west of the family's land. Fatima picked up a machete and said it was necessary "just in case." Just in case what...? So with a bit of trepidation we embarked. Here are some of the things we were looking at...


All those tiny dots are insects.




I've changed a lot since I've moved to México. My hair's a bit longer. My skin's a bit tanner. And now I have a mustache.





Doesn't Fatima's daughter look like she's lived through a world of experiences already at such a young age? Look at the sadness in those little baby eyes?





Fatima's suegra made us a delicious trout soup, fresh from the river snaking through these hills. And once we were fed and rested, we headed back to the city.

5 comments:

'toria said...

I DEFINITELY hope you'll still have the mustache for my wedding! :)

Bone-a-fide said...

Hee hee. I LOVE the mustache pic.

Sounds like a lovely day.

And LOOK at those baby's eyes. My goodness.

Anonymous said...

"adaptation is a profound process" -John Laroche (via Charlie Kaufman)

Anonymous said...

Megora, you do not have a brother unless I have missed something.

Megora said...

When I speak of my brother, I'm talking about my host brothers from the Cordero Family. They truly are family--so calling Mau and Alex my "friends" just doesn't seem right. Also, one night when Mom got really drunk in the late 60s, she had this tryst with the milkman. So you know, there are a few siblings from that interlude. :)