Sunday, June 15, 2008

What else? There IS else.

Life is filled with other, somewhat insignificant moments. And frankly, I'd rather share them with you than the various stages of my Fulbright project. How many of us can really tolerate the minutiae of sound design? Hmmm?

In my continuing effort to document the sky here--let's add this to the album. A photographer just told me that early morning and late afternoon (around 6, just before the clouds open up and flood the city) are the best times to snap photos. The light is like no other. Likewise, a filmmaker friend said that October/November are the best months for light. Though I would wager that this June morning could challenge any November dawn.

Some mornings there is time for a stroll down to Sanchez Pascuas for a quick licuado from my friends Lupita and Jorge. I have my favorites, make no mistake. But this particular day I branch out for a smoothy of orange, apple, lemon and beet. Mmmm, beets, turns the pee pink. What a delight (or a horror if you don't know it's from the beets)!

Some mornings I'm lucky to have an invite from friends for Sunday brunch. As I await outside their apartment I spot this little treasure left behind in the sidewalk.



That's a bag of bread, friends. The other day when I was musing with a neighbor about how I would make it financially viable to remain in Oaxaca past my grant period, she patted me on the shoulder and said, "You'll never starve here, Megan." So, I may be homeless, but never starve. Cool. This bag of bread seems to confirm that point. There's food just SPROUTING from the sidewalks here.

To pick up the brunch fare we take a walk along the empty streets towards Suzanne and Chicu's favorite Sunday market, Merced.
Look at these Oaxacan treasures. Some same deterioration; others say beauty! Weekend mornings are the best for trekking round the city. The markets are full. But the streets are quiet and vast. A Oaxaca without a swarming population. So lovely!


Other days there's time to take a break to make something slowly. There's an art to slow cooking. Shit, there's even a movement. Jeannie, my NY roommate used to joke that I am a four-burners-going kind of gal. Today's no exception as I prep white beans for a tomato-based stew, garbanzo beans for future use and a veggie stock for all-around use.

And finally, here is the first in a series I am trying to prepare on Roof Dogs. I'll have to collect a bunch to properly tell the story of this far-too-common breed of pooch.



**Listening to The Spoon as I type this.

1 comment:

'toria said...

I haven't looked at your blog in over 2 weeks, and, when I decide to take a gander today, what greets me? THE ELUSIVE ROOF DOG!! I was skeptical, but you've made a believer out of me. Forgive me for ever doubting you.