Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Martin Ladies in the Oaxacan House, yo.

DAY 1

As many of you might be aware, my sister Holly came down for a quick visit this past week. She arrived in the late afternoon, after a full and early morning of travel from Chicago. As I see her walk off the plane and onto the tarmac in Oaxaca (that's right! the airport is so small here that you actually do the walk outside) I giggle at the flannel and leather coat is carrying. I'm in Capris and flip flops...poor, poor Chicagoans. Holly's a bit travel weary, but filled with questions at everything flying by her backseat window in the car; we make our way (with my friend's help, and his car!) to my place. She stretches out, unloads the bag filled with goodies for my Mexican family and me: iPod for Mau, towels for Rafael, tennis shoes and jeans for me--yay! I make us some quick quesadillas with tlayudas from the Sierra Juarez mountains, fresh quesillo from a local market, and organic cilantro from the Pochote. And even though Holly's travel-tired, she rummages some energy to take an easy stroll into town to get an evening look at the city.

* side note: Dad, stop reading this!!! Let Holly tell you her side first over a nice diarrhea-free dinner**. I don't want to steal her thunder. So move along, BD, and check these blog posts out later.

**super side note: Holly did NOT get diarrhea while she was here. México's reputation is redeemed!!! Now, returning to the story for all those who are not my dad...

We pass the impressive Santo Domingo Church. We manage to squeeze in the doors just before closing. We discuss in hushed voices the magnificence of the altar wall, all crafter in gold, the side chapels, the sun-faded paintings adorning each wall. We exit, making our way south toward the Zócalo, or town center, taking the car-free Alcalá street the whole way. The Zócalo is packed with people. Each flower embankment is lined with people popping a squat, trying to enjoy the square's energy. It's the week after Easter, which is a popular travel time for Mexicans.

The sun has set; it's getting late. So after this quick initial glimpse of Oaxaca, we make our way back home. Tomorrow begins the real adventure!

2 comments:

HollyKMartin said...

Wow, that's a great night time picture of Santo Domingo. Did I take that?

Megora said...

Yes, you did, in fact!