Saturday, March 22, 2008

Semana Santa, a glimpse

Well folks, it's Semana Santa here in México--the week leading up to Easter. So that means everyone is on vacation. Spring Break! woohoo! But as opposed to this:


Mexico celebrates like this:
I've taken the week to get a bit sun-kissed at the pool with my brothers, Alex and Mau. Also went on a hike up to the waterfall in San Felipe with friends Josh and Lynn.
Josh and I have started a Fulbright gang. This is our new super secret hand signal...wait!


And finally I made some delicious galettes--thin dough stuffed with feta, green onions, and spices. Yum!
This isn't from the batch I made; but it's similar.

I'm off in an hour to Tlaxiaco for two days of recording before my sister arrives for a visit. So I'll leave you with a few pictures from the Good Friday procession I witnessed last night in the center of town here in Oaxaca City.

It took almost an hour for the procession to cross entirely in front of me. Huge, heavy representations for Jesus and the Virgin Mary in various different states of his walk to Golgatha. Each church contributes a statue or flag.
My two favorite parts were 1) the procession of these guys carrying crosses. You could hear them approach before you could see them--as these heavy crosses scrapped against the street's cobblestones






And 2) this parade of 62 banners, each representing a different church in town. The corner where I was standing was hooded in crisscrossing telephone and electrical wires. The poor banner holders had to duck and weave, some assisted, to pass underneath the wires. It was a nail-biting experience


Happy Semana Santa to you all!

No comments: