Sunday, March 02, 2008

Reunited...and it feels so good...

A kite display at a Mexico City Museum,
site of one day of the reunion


I've been behind on my blog. Let's be honest. You're disappointed. I know. I have an excuse, of course. I've been busy. :)

When I got home from my last trip to Tlaxiaco I has three quick days to prepare for a trip to Mexico City. The Fulbright Commission held a mid-term reunion in the capital where each fellow had to present the "state of his/her project" to the Commission and our fellow fellows. So, of course, I convinced myself I should mix a sound piece just for the occasion. I entrenched myself in my studio in Oaxaca--and thus, the reason I did not update these pages.

Fellow Fellows

I am happy to report that the reunion was a grand success in many ways. For one, it was great to see many of the Fulbrighters I'd met at the Orientation, as well as reunite with some who had passed through Oaxaca for a visit over the last several months. Second, it was great to get a gander at what others are doing; not to mention, it was nice to hear some of the challenges and hiccups that others have faced. It kind of puts everything into perspective, in terms of my project's hurdles. And lastly, it was really nice to have a room full of people listen to some of my work, ask questions about it, and give me some really kind feedback. When you're huddled in your little studio all by your lonesome--it's hard to get that desperately-needed feedback, at times. I also got some good ideas about possibilities for other funding sources, should I decide to stay on past my grant dates.

So now, for your viewing pleasure, a few snapshots from the reunion...

Josh, a poet in Oaxaca
In the background Kraig, the Agri-Doctor!
doing a project on wild chili peppers in Aguas Calientes
with his wife, Heather, a public health Master



A drummer in the fireman's band that played at the museum


Listening to a panel presentation.
Me with Christopher, a cultural anthropologist in DF and
Jessica, a painter in Guanajuato


Kraig's chili pepper-sniffin' nose

More of the bombero (fireman) band


The ceiling at the Tapo bus station in Mexico City

Josh and I have an hour to kill before our bus departs back to Oaxaca.
How 'bout we pop a squat on a really dirty bus station floor and drink Modelo beer? How 'bout that?



**Also, here is a link to the presentation I made in México City. The piece is in a few different languages. But the site where the audio is posted also includes an English translation script so you can follow along as you listen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good stuff Megan--glad to see that your back to updating your Blog.

BD

'toria said...

I listened to your piece. I couldn't understand most of it, but it sure sounded pretty! :)

Megora said...

Thanks for listening! There's actually a document attached to the site where the sound piece is located that gives an English translation of the whole thing--that way you can follow along as you listen.