Sunday, August 10, 2008

Random Events - Shanananah shanananah, hey hey hey, good bye

My good friends Chicu and Suzanne departed Oaxaca a couple weeks ago--and I'm just recovering from the melancholy aftereffects to get around to blogging about it. I was lucky to squeeze in a couple fun adventures with the two the week before they departed--heading out to Atzompa with Suzanne to buy random green pottery; and a fun non-dinner dinner at their apartment following. However, for their final hoorah--a group of us met up at Biznaga to send them off.

An old radio friend was also in town briefly. Peijk, someone from my early days at The Next Big Thing, and I met up for drinks beforehand. However, once his chums and mine both arrived at 8, we decided to join forces and tables for one big gathering. So let's see, present were, Chicu and Suzanne (the guests of honor, he from the States, she a Canadian), Guillermo and Gustavo (Mexican brothers), Liliana from Colombia and Michael from the UK, my friend Peijk from Denmark, and his three friends, two from Spain and one from France. We were a mini-UN!

Suzanne and jicama stick (or is that kryptonite?)

We gabbed, we munched, we drank Chupacabra beer. Suzanne and Chicu's dog Tubo, neatly tucked underneath the table, licked our toes and ankles--seeing how much he could get away with. The night wore on. Peijk and his gang departed for the ADO station where they would head to the coast on an overnight bus. Reluctant to let Suzanne and Chicu leave, we all stayed on, chatting, lingering as the cold night air drifted in through the open courtyard roof. Eventually, as bus boys hauled drippy trash out past our table, and chairs were upturned into headstands on table tops nearby--we realized it was time to leave. I felt lucky; I knew I would be taking Suzanne, Chicu and Tubo to the airport in a day--so my goodbye need not be tearful, yet.
Guillermo, Gustavo and Chicu - why so giggly, men?


Suzanne and Lili share dog training horror stories


But the day did arrive. I unleashed the Giant Monster Van out onto the streets of Oaxaca again. We hoisted suitcases and dog carriers into the car; it's like it was made for this trip. I can't imagine another car having fit all of that stuff AND us. The three of us chirped away on the sunny ride out to Oaxaca's small landing strip. What I love about Suzanne and Chicu, and this ride was a good example of it, is how effortless and delightful our conversations seem to run. We can talk of books, movies, country customs or dog poop--easily down shifting into something random and sometimes, crass--all the time laughing, at least on my part. Some sentimental part of me wanted the ride out to the airport to be a somber moment--to mark the event, the sad departure. But it's just impossible to not laugh as Suzanne lets Tubo completely crawl up into her lap in the car. Tubo still thinks he's a tiny puppy--when in fact, he is a giant, almost German Shepperd-sized dog.

There you have it. We unload bags. There are hugs. Tubo, tied up to a street sign at the curb, gets a farewell nuzzle, of course. I give a tiny honk of the car horn as I drive away. And they are gone.

You are missed, friends. You are missed.

No comments: