Thursday, August 07, 2008

Random Events - what's going on the street

Oy! I am so behind in my updates...I am looking at some old pictures I took weeks ago that I still have yet to post. So here goes, with little fanfare or explanation...

Anxious to get out of my house, and my editing funk I decided to take a stroll into town and see what was happening. It is Guelaguetza week (or what locals call here Lunes de Cerro). So there were on-going events and activities throughout town to entertain visitors and locals, alike.

I bump into the first right out my house. An impromptu parade of local protesters marches by with bands, giant puppets mocking the corrupt union leaders, and stilts walkers. That's my driveway they're tying their shoes on.

I trail the parade partway into town and stop at the Iglesia de Carmen Alto, where a small dance party is taking place between a brass band, giant puppets and small children. The giant puppet people spend a lot of time twirling and bopping to the rhythmic beat, while kids squeal with delight and terror as they try to get closer and closer to the action. One little girl seemed to have very little fear at all of her giant dance partner, and was filled more with curiosity, it would appear. One guy even brought his tiny dog to enjoy the tunes; can you see it tucked into his bag here?

I stroll and loll around town, checking out what is at offer at food stands that have popped up all up and down García Vigil and the Alcala. Tourists drench the streets--all tightly wrapped in their camera gear. I snap a shot of this non-café café. I wish it was real, with it's second-story view, crawling vines and wrought iron chairs. But it's just a tease; there's no restaurant there at all. But the azure sky sure does look pretty behind it.

There's other things to note around town. With the rainy season comes the growth of all things plant-like. The gardener where I live will trim the weeds and grasses behind my house where I hang my clothes out to dry. Only a short two weeks later they will reach up and grab hold of the clothesline again. Citrus fruits and avocados are practically dropping into your hand as you walk down streets laden with trees.

Later that night I return to García Vigil for the annual party held by the street's main church, Carmen Alto (which literally means, Tall Carmen; there's another church in town called Small Carmen, of course!). The success of the party each year depends on the Mayordomo, or benefactor. The more money he or she dumps into the party, the taller the fireworks castle (el Castillo), the better the light show, the more people turn out to gawk. I'm very content with this year's Castillo, myself. It looks giant to me. Imagine a radio antenna tower lined with small explosives, metal appendages branching out from top to bottom. As each line is lit, a different pinwheel of fireworks lights up and spins until it putters out. Then another, and another. Between each "Act" larger rockets are lit 10 feet off from the Castillo, that race each other in pink and amber lines up above our heads, higher and higher until they burst into sparkles. It's crazy how close I am to the action, maybe 15 feet from ignition control. Another half-time show between Castillo tiers is the torro--these crazy explosive bulls. People of "honor" in the Mayordomo's party place the torro on their head and shoulders, someone lights the fuse and then races around the street with walking fireworks display. The game for spectators is to see how close you can get to the bull without getting blinded. And the bull attempts to get as close as he can to those nearby.

My brothers, Alex and Mau, and Mau's gal Judith are huddled against a nearby building with me, trying to avoid premature blindness as best we can. I know that this display would be utterly untenable in the U.S. due to inevitable litigation for...whatever. But I love it! This is so fun. You're so close to the action, the lights; you feel the thump of every rocket lit in the pit of your stomach. People aren't shy--the hoot and whoop as the torro passes by--or as a rocket bursts all-too-low in the sky, not quite burning out before little fireworks remnants fall and sputter out on the cobblestone street before us.

You know the end is near when the corona (crown) of the Castillo finally lights and whirls in circles at the tippy top of the tower. When it reaches top speed it shoots straight up into the air and tried to make its way to the moon before stretching out sparks and tentacles of color all over the night sky.

Judith, Mau, Alej and I wait for the crowd to disperse, eat a couple tiny pancakes decked in cajeta, and then sit down to share empanadas at one of the many crowded stands. So fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep getting the feel that you step out into another world - Wonderland or Oz - every time you blog about opening your front door.

Megora said...

Sometimes it feels that way--especially when there's a two-week long party happening. Makes it a bit hard to get work done when Oz is just right outside your front door. :)