Sunday, August 10, 2008

Random Events - The Visit

Uncle Sky and Dylan came barreling into town at the close of July. These guys travel in a unique manner all their own--and I love it! I learn so much watching how other people act as tourists. Everyone's got their own style. Some buy into the all-inclusive resorts. Others prefer backpacking and cheap beers. Others rent a car and let fate tell them where to pull over. And some, like Sky and Dylan, find enjoyment in the details.

I met up with them on their first morning in town--where we breakfasted at Itanoní, one of my favorite spots. I introduced them to tetelas (triangle-shaped corn tacos) and the drink to defeat all drinks, limonda con hierbabuena. Then we took a hike around town to give them the layout. And off they went on their own to explore the cloud forests of the Sierra Juárez mountains, and the tumbled ruins of the Zapotecs.

Inspired by Sky's interest in Oaxaca's flora, I snapped a bunch myself. I'm going to let my pictures tell the story...

I like this series of Dylan. It goes from totally unaware that I am snapping his photo to the end smile. It's like witnessing the show and the rehearsal for the show!

We took a trip out to CaSa in Vista Hermosa, San Agustín Etla. Though it was more of an overcast day than when I've visited before--it's still an amazing view.

There were all sorts of things that captured our fancy; again, the beauty is in the details when out with these guys. The cement-colored thorns on the bark of this tree were pretty riveting. Though, we all agreed it made the tree seem overly standoffish, and defensive.

This is a view from the tippy top of the CaSa museum. Doesn't the sky just reach forever in all directions? How does it do that?

So let's play a game...let's see who can guess what the following things are from the photos. We'll start easy.

What is shown this black and white photo? I feel like it looks like a mountain range on the moon...or icing on a marzipan cake. But really, it's the bark from that tree above, taken sideways.

Okay, next! Can you guess you gues what this picture at the right is? Bars of gold...or chocolate? A game board for "Mexican Chess"? No! It is a staircase. Yep.

Sky and Dylan really made me notice the patterns and shapes all around Oaxaca. It wasn't that they mentioned it--it's more that they showed interest in it--drawing, snapping photos, just noticing. It made me look anew at things I'd passed hundreds of times. And in turn, I made them notice the beauty of food--as I swatted Sky's fork away from his plate and pulled out my camera for a shot of their last meal in town. Tamarin mile with shrimp and white rice. Sky proclaimed, "Too much tamarind!" But his disappointment with his meal didn't stop us from enjoying memelas, cerro viejos and a couple copitas of mezcal!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bars of gold! No wait! CHEESE CUBES! Mmmmmmm.......

Unknown said...

GREAT sandals by the way - where did you get them????

Megora said...

Got 'em here in the Bénito Juárez market. I could only wrangle the merchant down $170 from $180 (that's pesos). But I love them!