Sunday, August 10, 2008

Random Events - Truly Random

Back by popular demand are some shots of the local "fauna" in the city--roof dogs. I long for the days when a crosstown hike with Suzanne and Chicu (and their dog, Tubo) would draw out all the pups hiding atop homes in the city. Just one whiff of Tubo's hide would get them scampering to roof's edge to bark their snouts off. Now I have to hunt them down like an intrepid reporter.

Also in addendum to earlier posts, I include another strange Oaxaca street sign. This one seems to say, "Would all crescent wrenches please deposit their Chinese stars in the trash bins?" Seems reasonable.

The other day two strange visitors appeared in my house. The first floated in from nowhere and planted itself in the upper left hand corner of my office. I imagine if I placed a ruler, or small object next to this moth you'd get a better idea of how large it is--but that would require me to get close, and perhaps shake hands with it. I can assure you I cannot palm this monster; he's that BIG. And then an hour later, his friend arrived, just as large. None of my windows or doors were open--so I can only think that these things can clone themselves in under 10 minutes. Equally strange is that the other night I locked one of them in my bathroom--and in the morning...he was gone! So apparently these guys can either swim (toilet exit) or crawl underneath doorways. Is that normal for moths? Someone Google "stealth commando moths" for me, eh? Perhaps they're some sort of omen or harbinger of death. Maybe they represent my 20s dying...

And for my final trick of random weirdness, ladies and gentlemen, I present "The Strangest Airbrushed Picture of Your Baby Ever." I was walking from the Abastos market into town when I passed this frame shop. They had a sample of posed photos in the front display, as well as framing options. And this little number was right out front. Definitely click on that image and get a closer look. I did a double take AND doubled back down the block later to snap a photo; I just couldn't get it out of my head.

No comments: